Lonnie Rafael Alcaraz is a professional lighting designer and is also a Professor at UC Irvine, where he is the head of the lighting program. He has designed at various regional theatres, such as The Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Portland Center Stage, South Coast Repertory, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Laguna Playhouse, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Pasadena Playhouse, The Great River Shakespeare Festival where he is the Resident Lighting Designer, Utah Shakespearean Festival, Syracuse Stage, Arizona Theatre Company and East West Players. Lonnie has designed for Culture Clash for various shows, such as The Birds at both South Coast Repertory and Berkeley Repertory; Culture Clash in AmeriCCa at South Coast Repertory and San Diego Repertory; and their national touring show, Radio Mambo. Lonnie also is a producer with an emphasis in Latinx productions and community-engaged theatre. Recent designs include American Mariachi and You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown with South Coast Repertory at the San Juan Capistrano Mission for their new initiative: Outside SCR. Also, he recently designed for Beitak Productions in the country of Oman at the Royal Opera House of Muscat; an Ice Skating show centered around various Operas with professional Opera Singers and the National Orchestra of Prague. In addition to his theatrical experience, Lonnie designed for Universal Studios Islands of Adventure for Universal Studios, Japan.
Below is a list of some of his professional affiliations:
- Resident Lighting Designer for South Coast Repertory.
- Resident Lighting Designer for The Great River Shakespeare Festival.
- Resident Lighting Designer for Ballet Repertory Theatre.
- Associate Artist with the tony award winning South Coast Repertory
- Associate Artist with the critically acclaimed Cornerstone Theater Company.
- Member of the United Scenic Artist /IATSE – Local 829.